Tuesday, November 20, 2012

GL Giles - The Next Big Thing

First, I’d like to thank Hunter S. Jones athttp://www.amazon.com/dp/B009SCXVMK for inviting me to participate in my first ‘blog hop’. I’m publishing mine a few hours early---take that Mercury Retrograde! 

What is the (working title) of y
our book?
The title of our book is "Unputdownable Tales of Terror," though we usually just call it UTOT. Our standing joke is that it's not a book venerating a fictional god of Egypt; rather, it's a book I co-wrote with Lynn Anders---filled with our stygian stories, song lyrics and poems (many previously published in other anthologies).
Where did the idea come from for the book?
I can't remember exactly how we came up with the idea for our book, but I met Lynn Anders at a Waldenbooks signing a little over three years ago, and we've been close friends since. She and I were both signing, and we had a blast at that signing and lots of other ensuing Waldenbooks signings---till they closed shop last year. We thought it would be fun to promote something together, and it has been! In fact, we're looking forward to collaborating together again in the future!
What genre does your book fall under?

The short stories fall in the horror and dark fantasy genres, though I like to employ lots of dark humor and even love being campy at times, too. In my opinion, there should be a genre for just vampire lit. at this point, too! :) In which case, our book would fall in that genre as well.
Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

In my short story titled "Nine Strippers," one of the nine is a male, so I could see him (my unscrupulous kind of psychic vamp, a character called Sergeant Tachyon) played by Gerard Butler, my YATV (Young Adult Turned Vampire in my world of many different vampire species and supspecies) female protagonist named Jade played by someone like Jessica Biel or a younger Angela Bassett or a younger Demi Moore. Even a relatively unknown actress would do well as my lead YATV, if they met the criteria: namely a strong-willed female with a super-muscular body to match. My positive kind of psychic vamp, a female character named Portia, I could see being played by Emilia Clarke; I love her character, Daenerys Targaryen in the television series, "Game of Thrones." I’ve created enough characters in my short stories and novels over the years to probably employ half of Hollywood.
What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?

A collection of stygian stories, song lyrics and poetry (many previously published in anthologies, etc.) by G.L. Giles and Lynn Anders.
Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?

This book was traditionally published, though I have self-published in the past as well. Recently, I've had the good fortune of having two of my previously self-published books picked up by BlackWyrm Publishing: "Water Vamps" and my compendium. I'm elated, to say the least, and I'm also currently writing a zombie novel for BlackWyrm Publishing. So, stay tuned...2013 is already shaping up to be a busy and great year!!!
How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

It took us about two years to gather everything, etc.. I interview lots of great fine artists, musicians and writers for Target Audience Magazine at http://targetaudiencemagazine.com/ and I write reviews for Infernal Dreams athttp://www.infernaldreams.net/about-us.html so I generally stay busy!
Who or What inspired you to write this book?

I am always inspired by strong-willed females and males who also show great compassion towards animals and our fellow human beings. I also admire those who aren't afraid of change and strive to make the world a better place. Many of my characters demonstrate these traits in their own way, and the ones who don’t are oftentimes my antagonists. .
What else about your book might pique the reader's interest?

I’m not sure what else I can say to pique a reader’s interest, but I will say in this ‘Blog Hop’ that I’m more than a little interested in paleocontact theory these days, and I would love to find a way to gather together more of the vampy ‘plot bunnies’ hopping around in my mind--- and other zombie plotlines incessantly gnawing at my brain---into future short stories and/or novels one day.
***Thanks, it’s been a blast, and here are some other writers (and their books) I recommend checking out:
Deanna Anderson at http://andersondeanna.weebly.com/my-bibliography.html
Gary Starta at http://www.amazon.com/Kindred-Killers-Gary-Starta/dp/0957146280/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1353462710&sr=1-8&keywords=Gary+Starta
Christopher Kokoski at http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Halo-Christopher-Kokoski/dp/1613181280/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1353462808&sr=1-1&keywords=christopher+kokoski
Evelyn Smith at http://www.amazon.com/Transylvania-Louisiana-Evelyn-Smith/dp/0741450682/ref=la_B005OKNOYK_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353462604&sr=1-1
Hunter S. Jones at http://www.amazon.com/Fables-of-the-Reconstruction-ebook/dp/B009SCXVMK/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1353462916&sr=1-1&keywords=Hunter+S.+Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment